Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Lets Get Political for a Minute

Background Info: Obama did an interview with Us Weekly (I believe) and has been on the cover twice. McCain started running an ad that says he has celebrity status, but he isn't ready to lead, and shows images of Brittany and Paris, i.e. "Obama is a flake".

Here is my take - As an educated voter, I am not a fan of Obama doing interviews with what are basically glorified tabloids. I feel he is risking cheapening his personal brand. That being said, I also think it is brilliant and am not surprised he did it. Let me tell you why from a political marketing point of view.
Obama's main supporters are young people. Historically, young people are not interested in politics and do not typically vote. He is also courting the lower/working middle class. That is the only way he will win, is if he wins their vote. He didn't do very well with them in the primaries because they all voted for Hillary. He is courting her supporters without using her name so he doesn't have to make her his running mate.
Who reads these tabloids? Young people and lower/working middle class. He is getting his name and family in front of them and saying "I am like you and I understand you". AND he didn't have to spend any of his gazillion campaign dollars to do it!

Obama is not the first politician to court the young vote. Clinton did an open interview with MTV viewers for Rock the Vote. (Does no one remember "I did not inhale" or the boxer or brief question?) Gore campaigned for the Rock the Vote as well. Obama is merely courting the young vote and the middle class vote too.

Do I think it is risky? Oh yeah! It could have definitely blown up in his face. If McCain was smart, he would run youth and middle class focused ads as well. But he is too busy complaining to the people who have already decided to vote for him instead of working on building his base.

Do I think it was smart? So far. Let's just hope his campaign marketers don't get too brave and think they are untouchable. This is about as far as I hope it goes. Otherwise Obama is going to cheapen his brand they have so meticulously crafted.

On a side note - I also agree that it was strange that he went on a European tour. He needed to go to Iraq and Afghanistan to be able to get McCain off his back about not knowing what is going on over there first hand. But a European Tour before you have even been officially deemed the candidate at the DNC party is a little pompous. What do you guys think?

No comments:

Meet Rachel Adams

I started my blog because I am convinced that I should have my own television show. Once I point this out to other people, they think it is a great idea. I feel a show about me would be MUCH more entertaining than a large portion of what is on TV now. So, until Bravo or Mojo calls to ask to tape my life, I will keep up my blog to entertain myself and my public. Feel free to post any questions or thoughts you would like me to address.

Enjoy the show!